Controlling Your Ball Flight In The Wind
One question that some of my players ask me is….How can I score better playing golf in the wind?
Playing golf on windy days can be challenging, but with these few tips, maybe you can lower your score.
- Tee the ball lower on into the wind shots, higher on downwind tee shots.
- Most solidly struck shots are not affected directionally by the wind, so make sure you hit the ball solidly. Non-solidly struck shots tend to curve more.
- Set-up is critical to hitting solid shots into the wind. On shots into the wind, make sure you play the ball slightly back in your stance, close the clubface slightly, and finish your swing low.
- The wind can affect most shots even pitches, chips, and putts.
- Aim more for the center of the green on approach shots.
- It’s difficult to get the ball closer to the hole when it’s windy. Make putting a priority and make sure you at least two putt greens
- Greens tend to get faster and harder the more the wind blows. So adjust your game accordingly. All shots on the green take longer to stop.
Last of all, embrace playing in the wind. It can be a challenge but the better you get at it, the lower your score.
PGA Director of Instruction
With over 25 years of teaching experience, it's easy to see why Mike has become a leader in the world of golf instruction. Everything from cutting edge social networking techniques to having his own podcast, Mike has helped to change the face of teaching golf. He currently is the Director of Player Performance at the Boyne Golf Academy in Harbor Springs, Michigan.
Fairway Bunker Shots In this video, Mike discusses the finer points of hitting fairway bunker shots. Mike's Rules For Hitting Fairway Bunker Shots Use a club with enough loft to get the ball out of the bunker. Make sure you get it out! Take one extra golf...read more
How To Aim A Golf Shot Golf is a side-on game. You stand to the side of the golf ball. In order to have a chance to hit the ball at your intended target, you have to be aiming relatively parallel to it. In the following video, Mike discusses how to improve your...read more
Staying Centered Staying centered is very important to your golf swing. Moving too much laterally can cause a multitude of problems. First off, moving your swing center causes the bottom of your swing to be too far behind or in front of the ball. I usually...read more
TEAM MFG BLOG
Never miss a new post, article, or video!
Subscribe to our newsletter Chip Shots!