Hit More FairwaysApril 23, 2011
PGA Village-10 Years LaterApril 26, 2011
One question that some of my players ask me is….How can I score better playing golf in the wind?
Playing golf on windy days can be challenging, but with these few tips, maybe you can lower your score.
- Tee the ball lower on into the wind shots, higher on downwind tee shots.
- Most solidly struck shots are not affected directionally by the wind, so make sure you hit the ball solidly. Non-solidly struck shots tend to curve more.
- Set-up is critical to hitting solid shots into the wind. On shots into the wind, make sure you play the ball slightly back in your stance, close the clubface slightly, and finish your swing low.
- The wind can affect most shots even pitches, chips, and putts.
- Aim more for the center of the green on approach shots.
- It’s difficult to get the ball closer to the hole when it’s windy. Make putting a priority and make sure you at least two putt greens
- Greens tend to get faster and harder the more the wind blows. So adjust your game accordingly. All shots on the green take longer to stop.
Last of all, embrace playing in the wind. It can be a challenge but the better you get at it, the lower your score.